Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Signs of the Times: Carl's Acres of Trailers

Every once in a while, on one of our adventures, we see a sign on the side of the road that has us risking the health and well-being of every person on the road who has the misfortunate of driving in our general vicinity as we slam on the brakes and cut across three lanes of traffic just so we can take a photo.  This was the case on a recent jaunt to Ontario, CA.  Carl's Acres of Trailers has a nice sign, slightly reminiscent of Big Tex, and we couldn't help but capture Cowboy Carl as the late afternoon sun began to set over his acres of trailers.  I especially liked the little bonus Coleman sign allowing me to choose my adventure.  Recognizing that I had chosen Ontario, I realized that I need to revisit my definition of the word "adventure."

Carl's Acres of Trailers - Ontario, CA
Coleman Choose Your Adventure


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

3 comments:

  1. LOL!!! You are so funny! Really neat sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best I've been able to determine, these cowboy signs were first built by Bonanza Homes, a mobile home sales chain in Tennessee. There are a handful of other signs around the country -- more about them & some examples at this page if you're interested:
    http://agilitynut.com/signs/tn3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Trixie!

    Thanks for the link Debra Jane! We're always interested in cool signs roadside architecture. You've got an incredible website & blog!

    ReplyDelete