Sunday, December 16, 2012

Crazy Crafty: Gettin' Christmas Crafty Again???

"More ill-fated Christmas crafting" you're asking (with a very detectable tone of disdain, I might add).  Well, tis the season and I just can't help it after seeing all the cool stuff that everyone is working on.  Sometimes my crafting is born out of lack of funds as was the case with my last Christmas craft - the misbegotten tinsel trees.  Other times, it is born out of the hoarder in me.  I was at work the other day and I had used the last Kleenex (the actual brand, my office is super-swanky like that).  As I was about to throw out the empty box, I took a second look at the large, oval opening and it reminded me of those sugary, Easter egg dioramas with which I have always held more than a mild obsession.  Instead of throwing this valuable commodity into the garbage, couldn't I just as easily keep this Kleenex box and transform into a miniature, Christmas-themed diorama?  I was about to find out.

It is oft said that dog is man's best friend.
I maintain that it is not dog but rather glue gun...
a glue gun AND tinsel pipe cleaner

"Easy" is probably not the best way to express the manner in which this diorama went together.  Old sausage fingers over here didn't realize that working through the existing opening in the box would be much harder than than the wide-open, shoebox dioramas of his elementary school days.  I also didn't realize how dark it was going to be inside a box; some of the details get lost in its dimly lit interior.  Nevertheless, I am pretty satisfied with the outcome.


The dyed and decorated bottle brush trees leave something to be desired
but at wacky tacky the credo is, "too much is never enough."

Oh, did I forget to mention that it has a working fireplace?
Oh yeah!

I hope this holiday season is finding you surrounded by friends and family (and weird homemade crafts) and filled with hope for a wonderful new year!


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

26 comments:

  1. Um, HELLO but that is waaaaay pretty! And a working fireplace!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eartha! If there is one lesson in this craft, it is never throw anything away...ever.

      Delete
  2. Super cool, my girls love the light up fireplace. You are all kinds of talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trina!!! I'm a little worried - I showed it to my 2-year-old nephew and now every time he walks by it he shouts "Fire! FIRE!" We've got a little firebug on our hands!

      Delete
  3. The working fireplace just made my neurons misfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!!! A dollar-store, battery-operated tealight can work miracles!

      Delete
  4. A perfect post to link in with my Countdown to Kitschmas!

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! I've always been a bit obsessed with those eggs, as well. You totally captured theeffect, plus no egg ever had a working fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I admit it, I'm pretty proud of the fireplace!

      Delete
  7. That is so sweet! Kudos for having the patience to make it, as just thinking about how fiddly it must have been putting that intricate household scene into place through that small opening makes me feel fidgety! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially with my less-than-dainty fingers!!! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. what the heck! that thing seriously RULES! I LOVE IT! i'm very impressed with all you were able to get in that little klenex hole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I almost quit halfway through because it was getting hard to fit everything in.

      Delete
  9. Too dang cute! That's really all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to try something a little different than sewing for a change.

      Delete
  10. WHAT!! That is freaking adorable!! I know you claim to not be that crafty but you're totally wrong. I love it! Fireplace? So cute! What a clever way to use something you'd toss away. Did you open up the side to make it easier to access the inside and glue it back? Seems like it would make it slightly easier to get in. I recall doing that to some diorama of some sort back in the day. Anyway, I seriously love it. Did you make the little bottle brush tree for the inside, too? I think the whole thing is fabulous!

    Btw don't know if you saw today's Retro Renovation post but in case not you should check it out, total Christmas craftiness and wouldn't cost a time (well for those of us um, collectors). Seems like it would be up your alley too. We've done our decor for the year but I totally am making some next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! True to non-crafter form, I worked just through the tiny oval opening to create the entire thing. I really didn't think about deconstructing the box until it was too late! I go the bottle brush trees at a craft store and decorated them with beads and pipe cleaner. Somehow I missed that Retro Renovation post - I'll go back and check. Thanks again!!!

      Delete
  11. I love that! So cute! What a good idea. I may have to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jana! If you do, let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  12. Seriously seriously cool!!! xx All the best to you, your sis and the fam for Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We miss you! Hope all is well in Spain! We came to see you, now it is your turn to come out here and see us!

      Delete
  13. Oh the fire place is to cool! Very nice, and very crafty! You can almost hear Burl Ives music in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick! Usually I don't spend much time being craft but this year the bug bit!

      Delete