Friday, May 10, 2013

The PASSWORD Is: "Mother"

You know you really must be some kind of monster when people look through your family photos and with genuine, thoughtless sincerity exclaim, "That's your mom?!?!?!" - as if they could never fathom that something so hideous (me) was born of something so fair (she).  What can I say, not every project you work on, even one on which you've spent nine months, turns out the way you expected.  Fortunately, I was born just past the days when people would've immediately tossed me in a sack with a couple of bricks and flung me in the river like so many unwanted kittens.  I think my parents still question their own judgment until I remind them of my alternatives.  Would they have me swinging from the bell tower of a famed, Medieval cathedral or haunting the singers of a Parisian opera house OR would they prefer to have me under their constant supervision, thus minimizing the trauma wreaked upon an unsuspecting public?

This is my mom...
channeling the spirit of Tammy Wynette

My mom will hate me for saying any of this because I have brought this very scenario to her attention and she does not approve the theory; she doesn't think I'm ugly (the phrase "A face only a mother could love," comes to mind).  Yet, the only reason I mention it is to wish my Mom and all of the mothers out there a very Happy Mother's Day!


Looking at these photos makes me truly sorry for all the terrible things I've put my mom through.  It makes me realize that she was once inexperienced and idealistic and could never have imagined all the torment that five weird children and thirty eight years of marriage can bring.  It makes me see her as a real human being who never considered the seemingly-insurmountable obstacles that would be placed before her, who never realized that in the face of these obstacles she could summon the strength to laugh through her tears and persevere.  My mom had a life before I did.

Would you be able to tell this face
 how hard life was going to be?


In looking for proof of my Mom's pre-child life, I finally uncovered something for which I have been searching years and years - evidence!!!  In 1972, three years prior to her marriage with my father, my Mom appeared as a contestant on Password.  Password is the game show famous for bringing Betty White together with the love of her life, host, Allen Ludden.  My mother was lucky enough to play with White, but as much as I have combed over the Game Show Network archives and Password clips on YouTube, I have never seen any kind of documentation of her appearance.  I thought I had sorted through all of the family's slides but I found a few small boxes that I had never seen before.  Surprised and ecstatic when I held these up to the light, I knew I had hit the jackpot.

Unfortunately, I broke the one slide projector that we had and I haven't the faintest idea how to scan these into the computer.  In my desperation to share the slides, I was reduced to holding them over a lightbulb and snapping a photo.
On the left you can see my mom's competitor and Betty White.  The host, Allen Ludden, is in the center with my Mom on the far right.  I'm still trying to figure out who her celebrity partner was during this round.

*Update: My Mom informed me that her partner was Ross Martin from The Wild, Wild West.

Wearing a pink dress of her own make and design, my Mom was a big winner, earning enough money for a trip to Europe.  There are so many things that I wish after viewing these slides.  I wish that I could see the show (I would love to see how she acted, how she spoke, and how she behaved on her TV debut).  I wish that she had won enough money to set us all up for life (Haha!).  More than anything, I wish that she had kept that dress!

I can't wait to get these transferred into a more easily viewable medium.
Yet, I'm really glad to have these slides that my grandparents took of
the television while they were watching their daughter win big money!

"Spellbound"
I wish I knew whose hand scrawled the message, "Real cute?"
on the back of the slide mount...perhaps one of her five brothers?

She reminds me so much of Hayley Mills in these photos.
I really enjoy how all of the slides were placed into the card-
board mounts upside down (and sometimes backwards). 

"Trinket"
I said she won "big money," but I think she ended up with a
total of about $2,000.  I guess that's not too shabby for 1972.

It is funny, people (particularly Mary, who regularly accuses us of "Like, being the same person" ) tell me how similar my Mom and I are - in personality, in temperament, in orneriness.  For as alike as we might be, I am constantly learning something from her.  I have discussed in some length my Dad and his particular brand of challenges, but the fact is that none of that would have been a story if not for my Mom.  It is my firm belief that my Dad pulled through because she gave him something to live for.  This is evidenced by anyone who stands in a crowded room and sees that, for my Dad, the room is completely empty except for my Mother.  Every time she walks past his gaze, he sighs like a lovesick schoolboy; he brightens at her every movement.  This is no accident.  She has been a steadfast wife, a tireless worker, and the type of partner for which most people would kill.

From her I learned what it means to work.  From her I learned the meaning of unconditional love.  From her I learned how to tie my shoes, butter toast, sew on a button, crack an egg, and a million and one other things that I take for granted every day.  From her I learned that life really isn't fair. From her I learned that even when life isn't treating you fairly, it is important to rely on faith, family, and one's own fortitude to carry on.  It may seem corny but my favorite song about mothers comes from a cartoon; in a few simple phrases. "Your Mother and Mine" expresses all that "mother" means.

"Your Mother & Mine" - Walt Disney's Peter Pan

To all the moms out there, I hope your children are providing you at least one day that makes you glad that you didn't throw them in the river.  To my own Mom, I love you.  I am proud of you.  I am in awe of your bravery.  I respect your commitment and admire your consistency.  I hope to find over my lifetime half of the determination and love that you exhibit daily.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

35 comments:

  1. Wow...what a shocker to see those old Password pictures...I thought they were long gone. What a wonderful tribute from a wonderful son who is tall and handsome and has his father's great sense of humor along with a multitude of talents. I love you, Chris, more than you know and only want life's very best for you. Thanks for the memories. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again, you're right; cleaning can prove to be very rewarding!!! Finding these slides was like finding buried treasure. Thanks for all that you do for our family and for your example! Happy Mother's Day!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post Mr. Tiny. Your mom sure was and is a lovely person both on the outside and inside. Mothers are such a huge impact on our lives whether they be ours or someone else's.

    I know that if it hadn't been for my mom I wouldn't have stuck around for as long as I did. My mom is my best friend and I hers. She also gave me strength in family, faith and myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariela! I'm so close to my mom that it was kind of hard to write about her (too close to the subject). I'm so glad that you have such a great friendship with your mom. Getting to know your mom from an adult perspective and realizing that she is a real human being (rather than just a provider of necessities) is a real privilege.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to Mom! Of course you initiated the waterworks. Too bad that we will not be there for Mother's Day this year to celebrate Mom, but we are so grateful for her and love her dearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sis! You gave mom what is probably her greatest Mother's Day gift ever - that 3-year-old GIANT!!! I hope you have a great Mother's Day (do they celebrate it there???).

      Delete
  4. Your mom is such a beauty! I love that first portrait of her. Such beautiful sentiments you expressed about your ma. And I bet she’s awfuly proud of the big hearted man you’ve become!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal Lee! I hope she is. We give her plenty of reasons to wonder and worry but I think she knows that we try to make her proud. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. Lovely post my dear! and lovely mother!!!!
    We will have to wait 3 more weeks for our french mother day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! I hope that when France's Mother's Day rolls around, that you and your family have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  6. Such a great tribute! And OF COURSE your Mom was on Password. You have such fascinating family members. I'm kind of jealous. She's so beautiful too. I love the part about how your Dad gets all moony eyed when she's in the room. Take it from a married lady, that's a big deal if it's still happening after decades! And I'm going to get you told right now - you are NOT ugly. You're a handsome, charming guy who can spin a yarn like nobody's business. You're not the stuff of rocks and bags in rivers. I've met people who are and hon, you're not one of them. I wish that you lived closer. I'd put those slides on my slide scanner and you could have photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eartha! Seriously, their lovey-dovey nonsense is getting pretty sickening. Hahahahaha!!! I will accept the compliment about my family being fascinating. I am sure that EVERYONE has a fascinating family; I am just glad that writing this blog gives me the chance to examine my family history and brag a little about the wacky tacky branches of my family tree. As far as my appearance goes, I thank you for your nice words. It can be a struggle to avoid being overly self-deprecating (a bad habit only exaggerated for literary purposes). I wish I lived closer too - not so much for the scanner but really because you blogging Nashvillians seem like such good people!!! Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful lady and such a lovely tribute! She sounds like a wonderful woman and to top it off she was on Password?! Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisa! I know, just when you think your mom is boring, you find evidence of her playing Password with Betty White! She is pretty darn cool!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful tribute, Tiny! Mary looks so much like your mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I think Mary will be thrilled to hear that!

      Delete
  9. what a beautiful lady! i REALLY hope you can find video proof of her appearance on tv, because i know we are similar and it would KILL ME not to be able to see it! and it is especially sweet that your mom is the first comment on this post! and she is right! you are not the kind we'd find swinging from the bells in notre dame! you may be lucky to have her, but she is just as lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rae, you are too kind! My new goal is to track down her show! I don't know why I'm so obsessed, but I want to know how she spoke and what she said. It is such an interesting experience getting to know your parents as an adult AND to find out what they were like before I was even the twinkle in their eyes! Thanks again!

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful piece about mothers. And it is so cool that your mom was on password. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    http://heidiswanderings.blogspot.com/2013/05/basil-chicken-basil.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I hope your weekend is swell too!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. My mom isn't vain but she will definitely get a kick out of all of the compliments! Thanks again!

      Delete
  12. What a nice post, you made me cry! Your mother is beautiful, I totally see the resemblance in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! That is so nice of you to say; I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  13. I have a 3 year old and am pregnant with my second. Today was hard, and I thought to myself "what have I gotten myself I to, how am I going to handle another little person". After reading how you realized your mom didn't have a clue how challenging raising so many kids would be but did it with grace and style, I feel like getting up and getting through the rest of this pregnancy and subsequent life with a smile so one day my little ones can say the same of me. Thank you for sharing and for such honest insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thank you so much Sonia! I never know what kind of response this blog will receive; I just write about that which I am currently thinking/feeling. You have made my week!!! I am in full agreement with all who say that the hardest job on earth is that of mother - and it sounds like you are an awesome mom. My nephew is three; even from an uncle's vantage point, he is more than a handful. It may take a while for your kids to get perspective on how hard you work and how much you love them, but when that day comes, I hope it is a huge celebration of your efforts. Thank you so much for being so kind and taking the time to share your feelings. I am really touched. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

      Delete
  14. This may be the greatest post I have ever read. Your mother is gorgeous and looks like she should have hosted a children's TV show in the early 70s. I can see her as a fairy queen/gentle earth mother. That's how I like to imagine her, "good afternoon boys and girls!" Also, I can identify with how I would feel if I found those long lost password slides. YOU ARE A DEGREE FROM BETTY WHITE! [This means you are 2 degrees from Rue McClanahan and Mary Tyler Moore! WHAT THE AWESOME!?!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmie! I hadn't even thought of playing the how many degrees of separation game. Mom ->Betty White->Mary Tyler Moore->Dick Van Dyke->Walt Disney->MICKEY MOUSE!!!! My siblings (my mom too) will get a good chuckle out of the "Fairy Queen/Earth Mother" comment.

      Delete
  15. This is too sweet. Your mama is so pretty! I have some serious hair envy right now. You're so sweet. She raised a fine young man. :)

    Mandy
    Nestled in Nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy! I think she still has her teasing comb!

      Delete
  16. This is such a cool post! Yes, she was lovely and it is so neat that you found the Password show with her on it!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie!!! My mom is often cooler than I give her credit for; she is part of game show history! Hahahaha!!!

      Delete
  17. Well, there I go, stifling tears at the nonfiction desk again. I should know better than to read a mother's day post by you when I'm working a public information desk!!

    SO sweet and SO well written a tribute, mister. Also, I am seriously coveting that last dress. Your mom sounds like an awesome lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh, I didn't mean to make you cry! Thank you, that is a great compliment. That last frock is my mom's 1975 wedding dress; it is still in her closet. Mary is probably glad that she is much too tall to have it the running when she gets married one day (mom's about 5' 4").

      Delete
  18. Darn you giving me tears! Another great post. Your mom is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete