Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Signs of the Times: The Sire Bar & Grill

Are you superstitious?  Do you carry a rabbit's foot?  Do you go into hiding on Friday the 13th?  Do you favor a lucky pair of underpants?  Well, I don't.

Ever the contrarian, I scoff in the face of old wives tales, myths, and conventional superstitions.  I mean, if I had a nickel for every "lucky" penny I found, the only thing that I might start believing is that I was six times as rich as those poor suckers who were happy with their pennies.  Instead, I gleefully open umbrellas indoors.  I earnestly seek out opportunities to saunter underneath ladders.  Completely ignoring my debilitating feline allergy, I diligently train black cats to cross my path.  I never, however, break mirrors; with a gorgeous mug like this the odds are solidly against me.  I joyfully step on each and every crack and, as of yet, I've never broken my mother's back - knock on wood (okay, maybe a little bit superstitious)!!!

The Sire Bar & Grill - Riverside, CA
(photo courtesy of B. White)

Apparently, The Sire Bar & Grill (est. 1955), is also a longstanding member of the ASL (Anti-Superstition League).  Having always been told that the horseshoe should be positioned open-end-up so as to retain all of the good fortune, I was surprised and happy to see The Sire's blatant disregard for that bit of folk fantasy.  In its 59th year of crackling, neon majesty, it is clear that this horseshoe makes its own luck!  "Superstition ain't the way!"

"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder

The Sire Bar & Grill
6440 Magnolia Ave
Riverside, CA
(951)683-7473


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

6 comments:

  1. Hey! That is right by my friends house! I was telling my husband we need to stop sometime because it looks like a fabulous dive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, we've only admired the sign but I hear the food and drinks are great! Let us know if you go!

      Delete
  2. To freaking cool! A GIANT neon horseshoe?! Sign me up, I bet it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it cool! I would definitely hang it over my front door!

      Delete
  3. That sign is absolutely glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even better after sundown!!! I want it for myself!

      Delete