Sunday, December 25, 2016

All I Want for Christmas is a Sleep-Eating Diary

I have found myself the last two nights awoken by the distinct sensation of something being lodged in my throat.  The first night, in a mild panic, it occurred to me that it was probably one in my yearly allotment of sleep-consumed spiders struggling for survival (after a few determined swallows, he was lost to the history of digestion).  Leave it to me to get fat by sleep-eating spiders.

On the second night, I was struck by the improbability of eating two of my own spiders on two consecutive nights, realizing quickly that the second one was YOUR spider - the one right by your bed, the one you went to massacre with a slipper, convincing yourself that you really smashed it but-good only to examine the bottom of said slipper to see no visible traces of guts or disembodied legs anywhere, leaving you sleepless for wondering if it now lurked among the bedclothes.

Yes, I just slept-ate your spider and that is why you'll see no "traditional present" from me under the tree this year.  In a world caught in the proverbial web of holiday consumerism, I offer you an alternative gift - the gift that keeps on giving, in fact.  Better than buying you a star or planting a tree in your name, I saved your life, your sanity, and your ability to sleep in peace.

I ate your spider.


Merry Christmas.

"The Web of Love" - Joi Lansing


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

4 comments:

  1. i try not to think about my sleep spiders! i really appreciate you eating one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are friends for?! I'd gladly do it again. Hahaha!!!

      Delete
  2. It's times like these that make me grateful I sleep with a full cpap mask and thus have a barrier against spiders crawling in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it really was your spider; the rest of us are having to make up the difference caused by folks smart enough to wear spider shields!

      Delete